Monday, February 9, 2009

One Of Those Days...

Today was one of those days, where all I wanted was a pair of red, ruby slippers that I could clap together while chanting "there is no place like before the kids were born, there is no place like before the kids were born..." That might sound awful, but today it rang true. I woke up to screaming, and I should have known right away that the rest of the day was not going to get any better. It was piles of laundry, a sink full of dishes, a family room floor strewn with toys, a constantly crying 19 month old, a mouthy, disobedient three year old, and a sweet two month old that just sat in his bouncy seat, patiently waiting for his mommy to have time for him. I love my son Aidan, I really, really do, but most days, and today in particular I don't like him very much. I can't figure out if he's jealous of his siblings, or just one of those kids that needs constant attention and activity, but today he was a tornado of trouble. He kicked and punched Emma every chance he got (which is why my 19 month old was constantly crying.) He wouldn't listen to anything, and every other time it was time to go potty, I'd find him peeing in the tub, because according to him it was "more fun." Nothing worked. Not coloring, playing playdo, going outside and playing on the jungle gym, not taking THREE walks around the neighborhood, or making cookies...by the time Matthew got home I had turned into a stressed out, impatient, screaming mess of a mother, that had everyone, including Matthew staring at me wide eyed, wondering "what's wrong with Mommy?" I HATE days like today. Days where nothing goes right and everything is too much to handle, and when it's all said and done, and the kids are asleep, and looking angelic, the guilt of my bad parenting kicks in. All I can do is try better tomorrow, right? It's a good thing kids are so forgiving...below are a couple of pictures that remind me why I became a mother in the first place.





Aidan after church yesterday. We were there for 5 hours due to the baptismal preview we had to attend right afterwards. He fell asleep in the car and didn't wake up even when I was putting his jammies on!



















The one thing Aidan is for sure, is a great big brother. From the moment we brought Parker home from the hospital, he has been attentive, loving, and kind to his baby brother. I am grateful for that.

5 comments:

mattc said...

You never told me Aidan liked peeing into the bath-tub. I guess that's his territory now.

Unknown said...

I love the changing-table/sleeping picture! I want to click my ruby red slippers every day too...just for a few minutes.

Mayhem no longer said...

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Or maybe a million times over. I figure one of these days I'll get the hang of motherhood. Until then . . . Let me know when you find the secret. :)

Erin Leigh said...

sorry for your bad day, it gets me a little scared for what's ahaed. i'm really gonna have to learn patience with my kids, i'm scared i don't have it right now.
and yeah right like you miss concurrent enrollment - unless you meant the people you worked with! :)

celeste said...

Those are some super cute pictures!