Sunday, July 24, 2011

First Day of School

My happy Kindergärtner!

Mom walking Aidan to his classroom.

I had Matthew take the day off because I thought I'd be confined to my bed from grief that my first born was starting school, but surprisingly enough, to both of us, I didn't cry at all. I didn't cry the second or third days either. But on the fourth day of school Aidan asked me if he could walk to his class alone. I was pretty shocked, but said yes. As I watched him from the fence it dawned on me just how grown up he is getting. I started to cry. Big fat tears, and didn't stop until long after we got home. I am so proud of how independent Aidan is becoming, even if it is hard for me to accept that he doesn't need me as much any more. He had a great first week, and really, really likes his class and his teacher. I am so grateful that he was accepted into the Vail School District and that we chose to send him to Mesquite Elementary. Even though it's only half day kindergarten (sigh) it's the best place for Aidan to start his education. I am looking forward to seeing how he changes and grows this year!

2 comments:

Preston Carpenter said...

Wow Aidan looks really tall in that first picture! Tell him congratulations for me.

Mayhem no longer said...

Happy Day! I'm glad that you got in and that he likes it enough to go by himself. How time flies!